Sunday, January 15, 2023

Jan. 8 - Jan. 14

A perfect week! This week I was able to bird in some form every day. Whether after work, during work, or an entire Saturday morning, I was finally able to make myself record birds every day. Technically I bird every day anyway, but I only count it if I submit a list on eBird. Recording every day typically leads to lists growing, and this week was no exception. I was able to pick up a Ross's Goose below the hydro while looking for a reported Barnacle Goose. That puts my life list at 246 species!

While birding along the river on Saturday I was also able to meet another photographer. His name is David Yunker, from Ohio, and he was in town to photograph the Bald Eagles. David told me that he's been coming to Ottumwa to photograph the eagles for a couple of years now. I'm glad that our little corner of the world keeps him coming back and I wish him luck in his photography adventures! David sells prints of his photos on Etsy if anyone would like to check them out! It's always great to meet other people that enjoy the gift of wildlife while out birding.

I was also able to capture some images this week. I photographed an American Tree Sparrow and Northern Flicker in the park a few blocks from my home, a Common Goldeneye below the hydro, and more Trumpeter Swans in a corn field while checking my dads bobcat trap. Unfortunately I forgot my camera the day that I spotted the Ross's Goose.

American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)

Male Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)

Male Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)

Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinator) in an Iowa cornfield.

I recorded a total of 32 species this week and they are as follows:
  1. House Sparrow (invasive)
  2. Mourning Dove
  3. Bald Eagle
  4. Red-headed Woodpecker
  5. Downy Woodpecker
  6. American Crow
  7. Black-capped Chickadee
  8. Tufted Titmouse
  9. White-breasted Nuthatch
  10. American Robin
  11. House Finch
  12. White-throated Sparrow
  13. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  14. Blue Jay
  15. American Tree Sparrow
  16. Dark-eyed Junco
  17. Northern Cardinal
  18. Canada Goose
  19. Mallard
  20. Canvasback
  21. Hooded Merganser
  22. Rock Pigeon
  23. Ring-billed Gull
  24. Pileated Woodpecker
  25. Cooper's Hawk
  26. Ross's Goose
  27. Common Goldeneye
  28. Belted Kingfisher
  29. Song Sparrow
  30. Northern Flicker
  31. Cedar Waxwing
  32. Cackling Goose
My highlight this week was being able to include multiple of our county parks in my counts. I was able to bird at Sycamore Wildlife Area, Pioneer Ridge Nature Area, and Garrison Rock Resource Management Unit. Utilizing public lands and increasing awareness of them is one way to get people more interested in the wildlife around where they live. Meeting David was another highlight, as I was able to point out some species that I had been watching that morning and help him find some species he may not necessarily have noticed.

Next week I plan to try filling in some of the species that I've been missing for my year list so far and birding in some areas that I don't typically go to. I look forward to sharing more adventures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment