Sunday, January 8, 2023

Jan. 1 - Jan. 7

 The first week of the year! A great week to start birding again. I birded at home and at below the hydro-electric plant in town along the Des Moines River this week, totaling 18 species. I'd been looking below the hydro every day, when we'd drive over the bridge for work, for different waterfowl to be there but was only seeing Canada Geese and Mallards from the road. Then I'd talk myself out of stopping on my way home to take a closer look.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) on the rocks.

Lone male Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)

On Friday, after work, I decided to finally stop and take a closer look at what was swimming beneath the bridge. I was still only seeing Canada Geese, Mallards, and a ton of Rock Pigeons. After watching a couple of Bald Eagles for a little while and hoping that some new waterfowl species would show up, I decided to head home.


Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) looking over a large flock of Rock Pigeons (Columba livia).


As I was heading up the bank towards my car, I noticed a smaller duck wading with a pair of Mallards. This small duck kept diving which peaked my interest because Mallards are dabbling ducks and only submerge their heads to feed. This let me know that it was for sure a new species. After many bad, but identifiable photos, I determined the smaller duck to be a female Common Goldeneye and began checking the groups of Mallards more carefully. Doing this revealed that there was a male/female pair of Canvasbacks across the river that I had missed as well.

Female Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)

Male Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)

I completed my checklist, hopped in my car, crossed the bridge, and got some good photos of the Canvasbacks while the light was still good. They may be some of my best and favorite waterfowl photos that I've taken. I'm glad that I stopped to double check myself before calling it quits.

Male Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) swimming away from me.

Male Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) side view

Below are the species that I recorded this week:

  1. Canada Goose
  2. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  3. Downy Woodpecker
  4. Blue Jay
  5. American Crow
  6. Black-capped Chickadee
  7. White-breasted Nuthatch
  8. House Sparrow (invasive)
  9. House Finch
  10. Dark-eyed Junco
  11. White-throated Sparrow
  12. Northern Cardinal
  13. Mallard
  14. Canvasback
  15. Common Goldeneye
  16. Rock Pigeon
  17. Bald Eagle
  18. Belted Kingfisher
I also learned this week that Kirtland's Warblers are no longer listed as endangered! According to the IUCN Red List, their populations were re-assessed in August of 2020 and their status has been lowered to near threatened. I found this news in an Arbor Day Foundation newsletter article. Thanks to conservation efforts, this species has been able to rebound from only 167 breeding pairs in the 60's and 70's to an estimated 4500-5000 individuals in 2020. Exciting news in the world of conservation!

No comments:

Post a Comment