Sunday, January 1, 2023

Dec. 25 - Dec. 31

 This week I birded around the Pioneer Ridge Nature Area located South of Ottumwa, IA and Lake Wapello State Park. I got to go out three days and saw a total of 28 species. I was also able to witness a River Otter (Lontra canadensis) sliding down a pond bank, just behind our nature center, to the ice below. It was likely going to fish beneath the ice, but it saw me across the pond and fled back up the hill. This was the first otter that I've ever seen in the wild and, of course, it's the day I didn't bring my camera. I was able to take some pictures on my phone of the slide and some of the otters tracks in the snow along the trails.

Where the otter slid down the pond bank.


Otter tracks in the snow.

Below is a list of the bird species that I observed:
  1. White-throated Sparrow
  2. Dark-eyed Junco
  3. American Tree Sparrow
  4. American Robin
  5. White-breasted Nuthatch
  6. Tufted Titmouse
  7. Black-capped Chickadee
  8. Pileated Woodpecker
  9. Downy Woodpecker
  10. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  11. Song Sparrow
  12. American Crow
  13. Red-headed Woodpecker
  14. Northern Cardinal
  15. American Goldfinch
  16. Purple Finch (lifer 245)
  17. Eastern Bluebird
  18. Brown Creeper
  19. Blue Jay
  20. Northern Flicker
  21. Hairy Woodpecker
  22. Bald Eagle
  23. Ring-billed Gull
  24. Common Goldeneye
  25. Mallard
  26. Trumpeter Swan
  27. Canada Goose
  28. Cackling Goose
My highlight was all of the Trumpeter Swans at Lake Wapello State Park. I counted a total of 144 with more likely in the area. They were wading in an open area of the lake with about 200 Canada Geese, 50 Cackling Geese, 22 Mallards, and a few Common Goldeneyes. This was the most swans I've ever seen in one place and reminded me a little of seeing the Sandhill Cranes migrating through Nebraska in past years.

Lone Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator).

Small group of swans displaying mature and immature plumage.





No comments:

Post a Comment