Sunday, August 5, 2018

Sunday Summary: July 30-August 5, 2018

This week I was able to knock another state off my list as my brother-in-law and I took a backpacking trip through the Ouachita National Forest in Oklahoma. Only 43 states to go before completing one of my birding life goals.

In Oklahoma I was able to observe 24 species, including all three species of owl present this time of year and a Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) which, according to eBird is rare this time of year. I was also able to pick up five species in Riley County, Kansas, the Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris) being the highlight species.

My picture of the week is from one of my mornings at Fancy Creek State Park. It includes two Great White Egrets (Ardea alba) and two Great Blue Herons (Ardea herodias).

Two Great White Egrets (Ardea alba) and two Great Blue Herons
(Ardea herodias) wading during the sunrise at Fancy Creek
State Park.
I observed 59 species this week, with the most observed species being the Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) with 147 individuals.

I had a lot of highlights this week, from finally finding a Painted Bunting to watching  105 American White Pelicans (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) land on the wetlands. 

I have enjoyed hearing some of the highlights from all of you readers, so please continue to share. I would also like to point out that you can now subscribe to Birding Big Life by email along the side panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment