Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sunday Summary: August 13-August 19, 2018

This week I tried birding more from home. Since we have moved I haven't spent a lot of time expanding my yard list, so I took a few days to try and build up my yard list. I also took another trip to Iowa to spend some time with family before the semester begins.

Although August isn't always the most productive month of the year for birding, I was able to add a few species to each county that I birded in during the past week. In Riley County, Kansas I was able to observe a couple Blue Grosbeaks (Passerina caerulea). Mahaska County, Iowa gained a Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum) and in Keokuk County, Iowa I was able to add the Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) and Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus).

By focusing on adding to my yard, I was able to add three species to my yard list this week, bringing my total to 21 species. My new Riley County total is now 89 species, Mahaska County 64 and Keokuk County 28.

Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica) hanging out on an electrical wire.
I observed a total of 47 species this week with American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) again being the most observed species at 160 individuals.

The picture of the week this week is of some Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica) hanging out on an electrical wire outside of the barn.

This whole week has really been a highlight week with it being the last week before classes start again. My birding may slow down a little with classes added to the schedule. I will definitely try to bird every day still, but the outings may not be as exciting as they were during the Summer. I look forward to seeing what new challenges I will face with having to rearrange my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment