Sunday, September 2, 2018

Sunday Summary: August 27-September 2, 2018

The streak has come to an end. After 68 days straight of birding and submitting checklists, I wasn't able to keep it up. On Tuesday my schedule got too packed and I wasn't able to submit a checklist. The other problem is that I can be really picky sometimes about where I submit my checklists from and so I pass up opportunities when I should just take advantage of whatever time that I have.

This being the case, I was still able to observe 38 species this week, all in Riley County again. I added the Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) to my life list. This species is a fairly rare species for this area of the world, that migrates through in during both the Spring and Fall migrations. I was also able to bring my county list up to 94 species by adding a Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons), the Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus), and a few Merlin (Falco columbarius). Only six species left to finally reach my goal of 100 for Riley County.

The most observed species this week was the Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura), with sixteen individuals this week. Larger wading birds and shorebirds were something of a premium this week compared to recent weeks past.

Red-headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus) checking out the tree
it had just left behind. 
The picture of the week this week is of a Red-headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus). This is my favorite woodpecker species found in the Midwest region. They like to go to the southern part of Texas for the Winter, but always return in the Spring and can very easily be spotted at the tops of dead trees or telephone poles.

My highlight of the week was observing the Merlins at Fancy Creek State Park. Although wether or not they were truly Merlins is still being determined, due to the large number that I observed (seven at one time). I truly believe that the characteristics that I was able to observe point directly to the Merlin, but there is a chance that it could have been a small flock of Mississippi Kites (Ictinia mississippiensis) which apparently share some of the same feather patterns. If confirmed as Merlins, I will have observed the largest group of Merlins recorded in the state of Kansas.

I continue to be very happy with how this blog is turning out and also to ask for help from my readers. If you have any questions, comments, concerns or advice please leave your comments to let me know. I will do my best to address whatever it is that is brought to my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment