Wednesday, February 1, 2023

January 2023 Summary

 Not a bad way to start the new year! In January I observed 35 species, with Ross's Goose being a new addition to my life list which now totals 246. I spent most of my time birding in county parks and on public lands. My most common area for this month was the Ottumwa River Access hotspot on eBird, located just below the hydro-electric dam. While out birding, I was also able to practice my photography a little bit. Below are a few of my top photos for the month.

White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) flushing a Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) on the Des Moines River

Female Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) wading during sunset

Male yellow shafted Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) eating his frosted berries

Male Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) among the Canada Geese (Branta canadensis)

For more details about my birding adventures the past month, feel free to look back through any of my past posts. I have big hopes for February and can't wait to share the birds with you. We're getting closer and closer to migration, and my excitement continues to grow!


No comments:

Post a Comment