Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sunday Summary: July 23-July 29, 2018

This week really challenged me to try and make time for birding as we moved from Clay Center to Randolph, Kansas. This also means that my target county will now be Riley County instead of Clay County. Luckily I already had a decent county list for Riley so I won't be completely starting over.

I was able to get out every day this week, seeing a total of 48 species. I added the Bell's Vireo (Vireo bellii) to my Clay County list, bringing my total to 132 species. For Riley County I was able to add nine new species with the Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) being the only species new to my life list as well. This brings my Riley County life total to 83. Both of these new additions get me to 175 species for my overall life list.

I was not able to get any clear pictures this week for a picture of the week. Every day I either forgot my camera or it was packed.

My most observed species this week was the Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) with a total of 30 individuals in only one trip.

My highlight of the week was identifying the Solitary Sandpiper. Shorebirds have always been a struggle for me, so being able to positively add one to my life list is always a big accomplishment for me.

As always, I would love to hear from you about your birding highlights for the week, or if you have any identification questions, comments or concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment